Monday, November 19, 2007

Fathers and Sons


Cael was sick last night. He has a cold and had this pain induced cry that I had never heard before. This morning, as I was driving to work, I thought of Psalm 103.13, " 13 As a father has compassion on his children,
so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him."

Last night, I would have done anything for Cael not to suffer as he was breathing; and even though it was not a big deal, I still wished that I was the one with the cold, and not him.
Spurgeon wrote about this Psalm, " Fathers feel for their children, especially when they are in pain, they would like to suffer in their stead, their sighs and groans cut them to the quick: thus sensitive towards us is our heavenly Father. We do not adore a god of stone, but the living God, who is tenderness itself. He is at this moment compassionating us, for the word is in the present tense; his pity never fails to flow, and we never cease to need it." (C.H. Spurgeon, The Treasury of David; Exposition of Psalm 103).

How amazing is that we have a God who is living and a tender God. His pity never fails us!

Cael? He is doing much better and so is my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment