Monday, October 1, 2007

A Case of the Mondays?


Besides going to seminary, I work full-time for a living. I have been working for a lumber company for the last seven years. Usually I work on the road, but for the past 3 months I have been working in the office.
It is amazing to me that every Monday, when I first get into the office from about 6:30 AM until about 10 AM people respond when asked how things are going with a, “Well, it’s Monday, what do you expect.” Or some people would light up as they talk about their weekend, but be miserable when speaking of their week ahead.

I have been convicted by this. I have answered this way, and often. However, realizing that God is the one that created work for mankind and that, as a believer, I should be having a worshipful time even at work. I think that at times as believers, we look forward to our weekend and want to stay there because that is when we meet with God’s people. Yet fail to remember, in my case, that at work I have immense opportunities to proclaim God’s goodness and salvation to most of my co-workers that do not know him.

A way that I need to combat this in my own life is to realize what Psalm 90 says, “So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.” Moses is writing a worship song about his experience with God and encourage the Israelites to maximize their time in light of the Wilderness wandering and the upcoming incursion into the promise land.
In our case, we should not have a case of the Mondays, yet we need to use Mondays as a worshipful day in that we remember God’s faithfulness in our provision.

gap

No comments:

Post a Comment