Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Trusting God Tuesdays


Today it's Tuesday, that means an early day for me. We usually have a leadership meeting at 0600.
This year we are going to go through one of my favorite books, one that has had a great impact on my Christian walk. This book is one to which I have gone through it as I was discipled and as I discipled someone else.
Trusting God, by Jerry Bridges, deals with the issue God's sovereignty and how we are to cultivate trust in God. The subtitle of the book says, "Even when life hurts," this is key in our Christian lives, I find that it is much easier to trust God when things are going well in my life, than when I am in despair for many reasons.
There was something that made me think from the first chapter, the idea that it is much easier to obey God's commandments than it is to trust God. It is true, as someone this morning said, it is easier to stop stealing than it is to start trusting.
Trusting God is not something that is inherent in all of us, Bridges makes the point that it takes a relationship with God to be able to rest wholly on Him. Just like any other relationship, in order to trust we need to know him and this is not a superficial knowledge, rather one that described as saving and sanctifying.

I cannot wait to keep reading and discussing the book, I will keep you posted.

gap

No comments:

Post a Comment