Monday, October 6, 2008

Consecrated... Do you understand what you are singing?


It was in Acts 8 when Philip meets the Ethiopian Eunuch and sees him reading the prophet Isaiah and asks him, "Do you understand what you are reading?" Sometimes I feel like doing that to myself as I sing songs and hymns of praise to God. Yesterday during our Crossroads service we were singing a great version of the song Take My Life and Let it Be, the next line is "consecrated Lord to Thee." I asked myself right a way... Do you know what you are singing. I answered myself quickly, of course, I know what consecrated means, I am in graduate school!
The problem became as I thought what I was singing; I sang "take my life and let it be consecrated...
Consecrated--
1. to make or declare sacred; set apart or dedicate to the service of a deity: to consecrate a new church building.
2. to make (something) an object of honor or veneration; hallow: a custom consecrated by time.
3. to devote or dedicate to some purpose: a life consecrated to science.

Lord to Thee..."
Is this what I want to do? Am I consecrating my life to the Lord? Do I want him to take my life?
As the song ended I felt like a hypocrite, you see I understood the words, I just did not mean them all the time. The issue is not understanding the words, but the question we need to ask is "Do you mean what you sing?"
So next time you sing, yes understand what you sing, but also to quote our Pastor Rick, "Sing it like you mean it!"

thanks for reading,

~gap

1 comment: