Friday, February 22, 2008

When I grow up I want to be a...


The first time I thought of that question I was probably under 4 years old.
I remember my grandfather, brothers and I were "working" in my grandpa's shed (which was huge) and I remembering thinking, "When I grow up I want to be a carpenter."
A carpenter? Yes, a carpenter.
I would love to tell you that I wanted to be a carpenter because Joseph, Jesus' dad, was a carpenter and thus he, Jesus, probably was in the family business, but no. I wanted to be a carpenter because I loved saws, hammers, and the smell of wood.
Unfortunately, it didn't take long for my dreams to be shattered, 4th grade wood-shop class took care of that. I realized then that I probably would need a desk job or talk to people in order to make money, instead of sanding, cutting and nailing.
I was reminded of that today as I was driving to work. It is funny to think that we usually end up a million miles away from where we first start and yet we end up in the same place that God wants us to be.
I was talking to a friend last week and I was telling him that for us Hollywood does not really apply. We could never think "I missed my chance." We know that we are exactly where God wants us. Somehow our choices and God's sovereignty work in perfect harmony.
You see, the best way I can explain this is: God is a great God, he knows all and somehow all things work together to bring him glory. So...
No... I did not get to be a carpenter, or a doctor, nor an astronaut, nor a soccer player, and I did not get to sail around the world, but wherever I am at, it is the perfect place where he wants us to be.

1 comment: