Saturday, January 26, 2008

Loose Lips Sink Ships


Free speech is something people cling to so that they can say whatever they want. Yet in Scripture we find that limiting our speech is better than, FREE SPEECH.
Provers 10.19 says, "When there are many words, transgression is unavoidable, But he who restrains his lips is wise."
Solomon, the king of Israel, is writing to his son and tells them that wisdom is found in limiting words.
I was talking to someone last night and told her that I was going to be making sure Cael memorizes this verse. She asked, "Do you think he will be a talker?" I responded that I was not sure, but I knew one thing that he would not be perfect. James says that a person that is able to restrain his lips is perfect, thus this passage applies to all, talkatives-types and non-talkative-types.
We find two motivations for limiting our words, 1) you will avoid sin; and 2) you will show wisdom.
Wisdom is found in what we say, but also in what we do not say.

2 comments:

  1. if i would have known you were going to post the sermon here, i wouldn't have come last night....

    ok, just kidding.

    in all seriousness, thanks for the sermon last night. i especially liked the third 'action' point; (of the four ways you gave as an example of how to change) "develop a sense of God's omnipresence."
    far too often i don't think about God being right here, right now, and that he cares about what i say and do and think. it is a huge impetus to keep my lips restrained, knowing that.

    thanks brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Spencer!

    I usually fail at that also. I forget that God is the one that hears all, even my idle words.
    Thanks again for the words of encouragement.

    ReplyDelete